Sunday, February 10, 2013

HOW TO: Boil Quail Eggs


I am dedicating this post to my wonderful university roommates who have always been so supportive of my love of food and my desire to fuss about the details. After all, we eat with our eyes. 

My mother would often use half of an almost-hard-boiled egg to break up the sea of red in our bowl of tomato soup.  I don't know if this is a Danish tradition as I have never seen it since.  A fleeting connection with that memory had me wondering how hard it would be to use a quail egg instead when my food presentation is much smaller.  Say a dipper bowl or shooter glass for a canapé.

It worked like a charm. They are just darling!


 HOW TO: Boil Quail Eggs
  • In a pot of boiling water, gently immerse the quail eggs. 
  • Boil for 3 minutes. 
  • Remove from the boiling water and slip into an ice bath for 5 minutes. 
  • Gently peel the egg. 
  • Cut in half just before serving. 


I purchased my quail eggs from Farm Boy. The brand is Ferme Laroche et Fille from Val-des-Monts, Quebec. There were 15 in the carton and they cost $3.49.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...