Thursday, August 4, 2011

Danish Cucumber Salad with English and Lebanese Cukes!?



I have a charming recipe for cucumber salad that came from my mother and is much like every other cucumber salad recipe in Denmark, where they actually call it Agurkesalat.

Because of the vinegar marinade, it tastes a bit like a fresh pickle.

I enjoy my Danish cucumber salad as a side dish much like I would enjoy coleslaw. It goes well with the Danish meatball called frikadeller. At times I just like to snack on it.

I decided to make this recipe today since I had a beautiful English cucumber from Roots and Shoots Farm in my latest CSA basket.



I think it is kind of quirky that I make my Danish cucumber salad with English and Lebanese cucumbers.

Danish Cucumber Salad

1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
4 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
6 - 8 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Slice cucumber very thinly. (I use a mandoline.) Sometimes I take the skin off, but I will often leave it on, especially if the cucumber is young and fresh.

Combine the marinade ingredients and add the slices of cucumber to the bowl. It should sit for at least 15 minutes before serving (with a slotted spoon). It is best served cold. It will keep for several days.

If you want to make a smaller salad, just use the English cucumber and reduce the marinade ingredients by half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...