Monday, August 2, 2010

Mustard Greens in Celebration of Food Day in Canada 2010



Mustard greens, or mizuna, is sometimes said to be piquant, mild peppery flavor, slightly spicy. So when I decided to use them for the Food Day in Canada celebration this weekend, I knew I needed a recipe that stood up to its strength, and for it to also be included with other dishes that would be a bit milder, in order to create balance. I decided to to go a bit Asian with the greens and picked a recipe from Simply Recipes called Mustard Greens.



This recipe allowed me to use all my mizuna and the remaining onions from my Roots and Shoots Farm CSA food basket. I found I tended to enjoy a bite of my mustard greens together with a bite of my stuffed chicken. I love what the sesame oil does to tame the strong taste of the greens. I think toasted sesame seeds could have been a nice touch. It truly was a special Food Day celebration.





MUSTARD GREENS
Source: Simply Recipes

1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 pound mustard greens, washed and torn into
large pieces
2 Tbsp chicken broth (2 to 3), or vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil

In a large sauté pan, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until the onions begin to brown and caramelize, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more, until fragrant.

Add the mustard greens and broth and cook until the mustard greens are just barely wilted. Toss with sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...