Saturday, August 7, 2010

Hello, Could You Please Tell Me Where Your Parents Are. We Want To Say Hello.

If you don't like cemetery stories in general, this is the spot where you just move on to read the next post waiting for your eyes. But if you are okay with unconventional cemetery stories, then settle in.

Yesterday when I returned home from my annual cottage pilgrimage to the Muskokas, I had a voice mail waiting for me from an old family friend of my Mom and Dad's.

"Hi, it's Eric. We were just traveling through your old home town and wanted to go visit your parents. We drove by the farm and now we are in the cemetery. We have looked everywhere and we can't seem to find them. I am starting to wonder if we are in the right cemetery. Here is our cell phone number. Can you please call us back and tell us where your parents are. We would really like to see them and say hello."

My parents died in 2002 and 2004. I don't get to do the 4 hour drive to visit very often but when I do, it is time worthwhile as it that adds to my healing. The cemetery is reasonably petite as far as cemeteries go. It's on the outskirts of a very small hamlet, approximately 2 miles west of our old farm. Mom and Dad are resting peacefully under a maple tree, near the back of the property and more towards the west side. Possibly the 4th row. Their headstone is a sparkly, black granite. I am not familiar with the names of their new neighbours.

Had I been home to take the call, I am not sure how well I would have been able to navigate this older couple through the tombstones. How does one give directions in a cemetery? Clearly a missed opportunity for those building GPS applications. I have not called back yet since by now the message is three days old. But I did wonder how long they waited for me among the granite to return their call.

".....could you please call back and tell me where your parents are. We would really like to see them and say hello."

I guess my answer is that Mom and Dad are resting peacefully under a maple tree, near the back of the property and more towards the west side. Possibly the 4th row. Their headstone is a sparkly, black granite. Oh, and if you do find them, could you please say hello.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...