Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Red Russian Kale Chips - A Roots and Shoots Farm CSA Treat



My first foray into kale was as beautiful purple cabbages ornamenting my garden. But my view of kale is changing. Yesterday's happy hour snacks consisted of kale chips plus hummus and pita. The idea for kale chips came about thanks to fellow Ottawa food blogger she eats bears.

Her early mention of them was this past autumn in her piece entitled comforting curry. She shares with us that her inspiration for the kale chips actually came from her work associate, Candice. (So you can see where this has become a bit of a 'pay it forward'.) And again a week later, kale chips are still on Marysol's mind in roast chicken and ginger and lemongrass chicken soup. Marysol is true to her love of kale throughout the winter, but in a roasted form. However, the idea and obsession for kale chips does not leave her. She is back talking about them again this May, along with the sister chip, Swiss chard in Grilling Swiss Chard. And at the end of June in Garden Talk - kale, radishes and slugs. And she knows she is not the only one out there doing the kale chip thing. She reveals that Kirsten of Kirsten's Kitchen in Halifax, Nova Scotia has it bad too as we hear in her tale Eat your greens...chip style. Kirsten says she was inspired by Selfish Vegan, who shares her recipe in Computer Chips. And then I find out days ago that Marysol has kicked things to a new level and now those kale chips are being incorporated with other flavours. Read more. Halloumi with Beets and Kale. Marysol, you now really have my attention.

So what's up with kale chips? When I google, I get 357,000 hits. Do we have a kale chip revolution? How could I have been so out of touch?

Let's not forget the rich nutritional content of kale as we rush to make snack of it. This vegetable has high levels of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, beta carotene and lutein and is quite high on calcium levels too says The World's Healthiest Foods.

When I received red Russian kale in my latest Roots and Shoots Farm CSA food basket, thanks to Marysol, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it.

You can read many recipes that prepare the kale in the oven, instead of my barbecue grill method. I am sure that the oven works very well too and this would be a neat thing to sneak in behind some other baking item to maximize your oven heat.

Next time I would like to try a 'salt and vinegar' version. Maybe also experiment with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. You can now add me to the happy kale chippers. And Google search goes to 357,001.

Have you ever made kale chips? What is your most favourite flavour?



KALE CHIPS

bunch of kale, washed and stems removed
olive oil
salt
pepper
garlic powder
lemon juice

Wash and remove the main stem for the kale.



Lay the kale leaves out on a tray and lightly sprinkle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice.

Place kale leaves directly on barbecue grill and watch carefully as they will 'dry out' and crisp up in minutes. You will see the edges start to go a light brown and the dark, moist colour go out of the leaf.

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful kale!! Oh my!
    I can't wait for the salt and vinegar version...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...