Sunday, June 13, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie -'Tis the Season



Being huge lover of rhubarb, I just couldn't go through this season without some sort of a fix. When I picked up the rhubarb I was fully intending on doing my 'oh-you-can-count-on-it' Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. But for some reason the idea of doing pie took over once the fruit was in the kitchen. In some ways the presentation seems more fancy and I think that may have been what I thought I needed for company's dessert last night.

My pie crust is tried and true but I had never done this particular filling before. Tapioca did pull it together and the tartness that I so love came through in every bite. Pie is big calories so it is something that I reserve for full treat status. I have included the nutritional analysis calculated by Mastercook V9.0 below for those wanting to make a fully informed treat choice.

I have to say that anything rhubarb for me pretty much makes it a favourite summertime dessert. When you think favourite, what do you head to the kitchen to make?

FLOUR PASTE PIE DOUGH
Modified from recipe in Joy of Cooking

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cups water
3/4 cups Tenderflake lard

Sift flour and salt together in a bowl. Remove 1/3 cup of this mixture and place it in a small bowl or cup. Stir water into it to form a smooth paste.

Cut lard into the flour mixture in the first bowl with a pastry blender until the grain is the size of small peas.

Stir the flour paste into the dough. Work it with your hand until well incorporated and the dough forms a ball. To bake, see individual recipes. Makes a 9-inch double crust.

***

STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE
Modified from recipe in Canadian Living's Desserts by Elizabeth Baird

For extra-juicy fruit like this, quick-cooking tapioca makes the ideal thickener.

pie dough for a 9-inch double crust
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons tapioca
3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
3 cups rhubarb, sliced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter

Roll out half of the pastry; fit into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. [I roll out my pastry between two pieces of waxed paper that is very lightly floured.]

In bowl, stir sugar with tapioca; add strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice, tossing to coat. Spoon into pie crust; dot with butter.



Roll out remaining pastry and fit over top of pie; trim and flute edge. Cut vents in top for steam to escape. Bake on baking sheet in 425ºF oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375ºF; bake for 35 to 45 minutes longer or until golden and filling is bubbly.



Nutritional Analysis calculated from Mastercook V9.0

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 411 Calories; 21g Fat (46.2% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 52g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 285mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Fruit; 4 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...