Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Perfect Lunch - Guacamole on RYVITA® Crispbread



Having enjoyed some great tasting meals out recently (Play and Domus Café!), I felt a certain pressure to deliver a tasty lunch today that was in no way pedestrian. Always a big deal when you are eating solo. Being a big fan of 'Move It Along Menu Planning', I hit the fridge and pantry to see what might be living its last day of freshness.

The avocado took the lead and I worked it from there. Considering there was also a quite ripe tomato on the counter, the brain quickly went to guacamole. Now for the vessel that would carry the spread to my lips. We don't stock nacho chips as regular fare so the obvious was out of the question. But I looked on the top shelf of the pantry anyway. Good thing I did since a recent purchase of RYVITA® crispbreads answered my prayers. I broke them in half for manageability and presentation.



The whole grain rye crispbread serves well as cracker and bread in so many applications. 3 slices are 120 calories, (so 40 calories each) 1 g of fat, 30 mg of sodium, 5 g of fibre. They come in close to a dozen varieties and this time I chose rye & oat bran. That keeps the gastroenterologists happy! What did you have for lunch??

GUACAMOLE

1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 avocado, mashed
1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon pickled sliced jalapeño peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
pinch of cayenne pepper

In small bowl combine all the ingredients. Do not use a blender or food processor to mash avocado. A potato masher works well. Some may want a bit of salt. Your call. Also, you can add more jalapeño peppers or cayenne if you want more heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...